About Me

My photo
LAUSANNE, Switzerland
I am an American living in Switzerland with a Swedish husband, a beautiful baby boy, a Swedish cat, and a French dog.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

NYC......

What a fantastic trip! I am so embarassed though that I did not take even ONE photo. Terrible, isn't it?? Oh well - next time, right? It was great to be in NY. There is always so much to see and do - and the noise! Wow, do I miss noise. The first day I though - oh my there is a lot of noise, by the second day I was in love all over again. The joy of any type of food you can imagine, ordering in breakfast on a Sunday morning when it is raining too hard to go out, $25 mani/pedis - and the shopping!
I stayed on the upper west side with a friend and we had a blast. I did a bit too much walking though and I was sooo tired. It took me awhile to recouperate after I got home.

Upon arriving back in Geneva I go 'pulled over' by customs. I told them that I didn't have anything to declare but they started going through my stuff anyway. I left a receipt for a pair of sunglasses in the box (so obviously they were new) and then the games began. The man started pulling everything out of my carry on shouting - this is new, this is new, this is new.....even though half of the things weren't new. I started yelling back at him that it wasn't new. We were arguing back and forth then he brough his supervisor out and I said to her - listen, these things aren't new - I am sorry that I have nice things and I am sorry that I take care of my things but you being a woman must understand this. Needless to say she helped me out a bit. She did say though that she wanted proof that my camera was more than 6 months old. I said - you're kidding right?? You want me to carry around receipts for items that I use and travel with just to appease you all??? I don't think so. So she took the serial number down of the camera. Whatever.

The man charged me a fine for not declaring the sunglasses and a pair of jeans. Total was 128 CHF. It could of been a lot more, and I must say that I got off lucky. The the man was like do you have any cigs or alcohol. I wanted to say - can't you see you f'ing idiot that I am pregnant???! For God's sake, I just got off of an 8 hour flight - I am tired and hungry and just want to go home. After being there for about 30 -40 minutes arguing, being fined, etc I was able to go on my merry way. Welcome back to Switzerland.

Dam* Swiss.

1 comment:

meta said...

Hi Christine, I wonder that you had such problem with the custom, esp in Geneva. Maybe it's something new now that they suspect everyone coming from the States will bring many iPhones to sell here. I went to NYC last year (also when I was pregnant) with an empty huge suitcase and came back with it filled with baby stuffs. I did removed all the packaging, tags and receipts, but they're obviously new!